Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 5: Almost Emmeline Apron

(January 31, 2011)

This weekend we took a little trip to visit my parents.  We thought it would be fun for Charlie to hang with his grandparents for a bit and for us to take the opportunity for a night out with free babysitting!  An added bonus of this trip was a little project I had in mind that I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do by myself.  My mom is crazy about projects.  Sometimes when she's visiting us I make up a project just so she won't go stir crazy.

Confession time: I love aprons.  I already have 3 cute ones in my regular rotation that I got from antique malls, but 2 of them are the half skirt kind, which don't protect my main spill area, and the other doesn't fit me right or something.  Something about it just feels shlumpy, which is NOT how I want to feel while wearing an apron.  I love the idea of being sassy in an apron.  Some kind of juxtaposition between domestic and fantastic.  So when I found this picture, I was smitten.  I think this might be sort of a no-no, but I couldn't really justify spending $11.95 on a pattern for an apron that I don't really need.  And I figured, "I could probably make that..."  Well what I really thought was "I bet my mom could figure that out... and then I could probably make it"

So we teamed up, searched through her amazing fabric stash, selected some prints she didn't really need, and went to work!



Here's my mom, taking charge

The pattern was pretty tricky, and by the end of Day 1 I was ready to give it up and sacrifice the cut fabrics to the quilt scrap bin, but my mom persevered (and ripped out the seams) and thought up a new plan for Day 2.  Her direction worked like a charm and I merely did as I was told. 

This apron is perhaps not exactly like the emmeline apron, but it's close enough for me!  Now I need to go put on my apron and make something.  Thanks mom!



3 comments: