Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Made It: Sugar Body Sugaring

So the last time I tried this whole sugaring thing (a whole week ago), I wasn't completely satisfied.  I went back to the drawing board (Internet), and got some new strategies.  

This new batch I made with only sugar, lemon juice, and water.  Here it is:

1) mix it up

2) microwave on high in a large bowl 30 seconds at a time stopping to stir until mixture reaches this amber colour and is about the thickness of honey


3) pour into your storage container



4) cool.  it'll be pretty toffee-like (you could eat it now if you wanted!  the lemon juice makes it taste a little weird though



5) take a scoop, smear it on your leg, and snap off, a la this video.

*this takes major practice to master because the paste will be more like taffy or something.  have you ever tried to get something sticky off your fingers using your fingers but without getting it stuck to your fingers?  yeah, this is how it turns out...


What I like about this method

- it doesn't use any strips so you're not limited by anything
- you can use the same tablespoon of paste over and over again and it's still effective
- the only ingredients are sugar and lemon juice, which is pretty thrifty!
- it seems to work just as well, if not better than the other sugaring I tried
- no granular bits
- there's kind of a knack to the snapping off and it feels like an art one might be proud to master

What I didn't like

- getting a snack for my son while having this gooey sticky all over my hands.  you should have seen what I looked like taking that last picture.  Yup, used my chin to press the button...
- my mixture was really thick, so it was pretty hard to spread.  I might try making it a bit thinner next time

6 comments:

  1. hmmm... sounds like a good plan! however I'm not sure if it works with a Brazilian Bikini.. soo do you still have hairs on your legs? after sugaring? was it really 100% successful? coz based on your pictures of the goo, it got stuck with your fingers and I figured it was not easy to remove and to work with. was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating to work with! I really like how easy it is, actually. The only thing is that it gets sticky and stuck after you work with it too long. But all you do then is use a strip of paper to wax it the regular way and presto! But it's nicer if you don't get to that stage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the amounts very important? And does it matter if it's white or brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I won't make any claims to superior knowledge on this one, since I've only made it once. However, here's what I think: likely the amounts are not as important as the ratios. There are lots of different recipes out there, and this is one where you can experiment away and find what works best for you! I think it probably doesn't matter whether white or brown, though brown sugar is mostly just white sugar with added molasses. And I think white's cheaper, so that's what I used.

    Here's a good video for a how-to on how to make it. 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HERE'S the video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLjyttw0Tlk&feature=related

    ReplyDelete