Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Made It: Cloth Baby Wipes

I just did this!  So, so easy!  Really, the most difficult part and the reason that I was procrastinating this whole project was digging around in our tiny storage area to find our baby washcloths.  I had put away all the "baby" stuff and when we moved here it got shoved to the back of the closet/crawlspace.


I basically just did exactly what this lady suggested, minus the tea tree oil.  I may try that if I end up getting some in the future, but for now, we make do!  Also, the feminist breeder has a pop-up method, but mine are already rolled.  Next time!

Got a bunch of baby washcloths?  Got a disposable wipes container?  Vinegar?  Water???  You too can have your very own cloth baby wipes, minus all the nasty chemicals in conventional wipes! The thing that makes this project so gosh-darned sensible is that we're already using cloth diapers.  Now with the cloth wipes, we just stick everything in the diaper pail together, instead of sorting out the disposable wipe for garbage. 

(image taken from www.cubitsorganics.com)

3 comments:

  1. I was using this technique with a solution I picked up elsewhere but I found the wipes got really stinky after awhile, and so I've stopped using them but have a ton left. Do you find you have this problem? Or is your detergent effective at getting all the gunky smell out? Do you think the type of fabric would have anything to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've only been doing this for a few weeks, so I don't have THAT much experience, but I generally only make enough wipes to last until the next diaper wash, likely in 2 or 3 days. And that's not enough time for them to get stinky. At first I was just using water & vinegar, and this time I added tea tree oil, which makes them smell a bit different, but not that gross mildewy old cloth smell. What if you try using just water, maybe a bit of vinegar? My wipes are just regular baby washcloths. I would also suggest a wash with vinegar to help get the smell out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, thanks for linking to my post. Gald you liked it.
    I've been doing this for two years now with zero stink. I normally go a week but they seem to last about two. The vinegar really does it :)

    ReplyDelete