Friday, January 28, 2011

Made It: Body Sugaring

I wasn't really sure what to call this Made It.  What I made was a thick, candy-like syrup from sugar, honey, and lemon juice that has the power to rip your hairs out by the roots. 

A while back, when I had TV and watched a lot of it at home, there used to be this infomercial for a product called Nads (hilarious, right?) which was kind of like a home leg wax kit, but was made of sugar instead of wax.  I recall thinking at the time, "I could probably make that..." but now with the miracle of the Internet, I can!

The recipe I used was sort of vague, and I feel like it should have been more specific regarding temperatures and such, since this is basically some kind of candy stage and it probably only works at a certain candy stage.  (soft ball?  hard crack?  what?)

At any rate, here's what I used:


Just mix it up and microwave in a fairly large container.  I used a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup because it's going to bubble up like crazy.  Here's where the instructions I had failed me.  I think it probably should have had some water or something, because even though the stuff was boiling and liquidy and all, there remained some granulation in the sugar, even when I was applying it to my legs like half an hour later!


This is what my supplies looked like as I was about to begin.  Yep, that's a great big plastic baby fork ("applicator").  And corn starch for dusting your skin with.  I can't recall the reason for the corn starch and forgot to use it on my second leg and didn't notice any difference.  So you probably don't really need it. 


 The Lowdown

While I was super excited for this project because a) I haven't removed hair by any means from my legs in several months and b) it is much more cost effective than paying someone to wax my legs and even buying those individually waxed strips, in the end I was slightly dissatisfied.  I think it was a good start, but here's what I didn't like about it:

- Sugar that stayed granulated to the end.  Rubbing paste with granulated sugar on your skin is not comfortable.  I'm hoping to make another batch next time and get the consistency right

- Each fabric strip was basically only good for one pass.  I only cut 6 strips so I fudged it and used each strip more, but I had to add more sugar each time, which made it sort of unwieldy and thick.  And kinda grody.

- It wasn't quite as effective as my old pre-waxed strips

- I'm not sure if this is just because I'm not used to using a liquid wax formula, but I didn't really like the whole spreading aspect.  And the long strings of stuff.

I didn't really like this recipe, but I've found an even BETTER method that I'm excited to try that does not even need fabric strips!  I'll let you know when I do it, though it might be a bit of a wait.  I have to wait for more hair to grow!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love that there is a product out there called Nads!! Can't wait to see the new and improved formula :) (from Sue)

    ReplyDelete