Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Green Cleaning - Carpet Edition

I'm new to this whole carpet thing.  We lived for nearly 8 years carpet-free.  But now that we're in a basement suite (I just can't sugarcoat it!) and it's winter, I'm beginning to enjoy the perks of having some carpet.  It's warm.  It doesn't hurt your knees when you crawl-chase a toddler from one end of the house to the other.  It's kind of nice to lay down on.  Somehow (and I'm worried that this is because the carpet is a heck of a lot dirtier than it seems) the dirt does not seem to track all over the house the way it does when you have all hardwood and tile. 

But the downside to carpet is the stains.  Especially when your carpet is the colour of oatmeal.  Everything shows up!  Add 2 clumsy people, a toddler, and 2 cats, one of which is a habitual vomiter, and you have a recipe for disaster. 

Not to fear my friends!  I have discovered an aMAZing carpet stain remover:  WATER.  It's seriously amazing.  And no weird chemicals!

Seriously.  All in just 5 easy steps:

1) get any "bulky" materials off the carpet.  Gross.

2) blot the stain with a terrycloth towel (No scrubbing though!  This will work the stain deeper into the fibers)

3) wet the stain (I like to use a spray bottle with plain water)

4) blot the stain with a terrycloth towel

5) repeat steps 3&4 until the stain is gone. 

Try it.  I DARE you.  If it doesn't work, you can always try whatever other chemical-laden stain remover  you were already using.  I also have this pink solution stuff, but have yet to try it, since the water method works so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment