Friday, January 21, 2011

Made It: WHO bread

In our need and greed for toast around here, I think I could probably make bread every day and not have to freeze any of it.  I've already had 4 pieces of toast today...  But that might be because I made some delicious bread yesterday!  It's just so - eatable!  It's soft and chewy and sweet and ever so lightly flavoured with honey and a touch of cinnamon.  Delicious! 


 I decided to try Soulemama's WHO bread (I think the "WHO" stands for wheat-honey-oat, rather than World Health Organization) and was pleasantly surprised.  The recipe is super easy and quick and does not call for very much kneading.  It also tastes so much better than it looks!  However, Dave has since pointed out to me that the bread should have been kneaded longer.  Apparently it has something wrong with it called an "M-fault," which is when the top of the bread is higher at the sides than in the middle, creating an "M" shape, which you can kind of see here.  It has something to do with the bread dough not having enough strength to stick together. 

This also means that the bread, while delicious toasted with jam, does not have the strength for something like a sandwich.  I could see it crumbling under the pressure of holding together some lettuce and cheese...

All of this has just reminded me that I need to get cracking on today's bread recipe, which is more of Dave's ciabatta.  No kneading in that recipe either, just a lot of stretching.  And waiting.  I'll try to make a post on how that one turns out as well, just to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment