Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 4: Grainy Mustard

(January 25, 2011)

This mustard is so easy to make, I don't know why I never made it before.  ESPECIALLY because  of the cost!  Here's the comparison:  a tiny bottle of fancy grainy mustard, likely half the size of that gimundo up there, would probably run you at least $4.00.  My mustard only cost about $2.25 to make.  So that's like $8.00 vs $2.25!!!  

How You Can Make Your Very Own Grainy Mustard:

1/2 c. brown mustard seeds
1/2 c. yellow mustard seeds
1/2 c. white wine vinegar (approximately) 
1 T. salt
1 clove garlic

1) Soak mustard seeds for several days (I did 2 and a half days worth) in the vinegar.  In separate jars, add however much of each type of seed you want.  Then cover the seeds with vinegar.  Over the next few days, the seeds will soak up some of the vinegar, so you can top it up with water so they remain covered.  Stir occasionally (or shake...)

 
2) Still separately, grind each type of mustard seed until you reach your desired consistency.  I used an immersion blender, but you could also use a food processor, regular blender, or mortar & pestle.  Whatever works! 

3) Mix the 2 types of mustard seeds together, adding more vinegar as needed if it is too thick.  Add salt and other seasonings, and mix well!  My original recipe called for a shallot, but I could not find one at my grocery store, so I added a small amount of chopped garlic.  I'm sure this recipe would be fine without the garlic, and I've also seen other recipes with lemon, as well as other spices.  

I think this is one of those recipes where you can do pretty much whatever the heck you want.  It's super easy, cost effective, and now I know for sure that my mustard is going to be delicious, and free of any strange ingredients!  This stuff is going to make some AMAZING sandwiches.  I imagine this mustard would make a really nice gift as well!

3 comments:

  1. My husband would love that! Where do you buy mustard seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked them up at the Superstore. Tip: Check the Asian/Indian spice section - it's cheaper!

    ReplyDelete