Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Made It:: deodorant

I've been wanting to try my own deodorant for a while, but I sort of had this little fantasy in my mind that maybe I don't need deodorant any more.  Like, maybe I magically stopped needing it.  However, the other night after a busy shift at work, I realized that I do, in fact, need deodorant.  I've been sporadically using just a little bit of baking soda rubbed on, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.  

So here's what I used:


 1) Scoop 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a bowl and microwave in small intervals just until it is spreadable.


2) Add  2 tablespoons each of cornstarch and baking soda.  Mix it up.  (The recipe I used suggested equal parts of the first 3 ingredients - I just figured that this would make a good amount for now, and 2 tablespoons is a nice round number)


3) Add 3-6 drops tea tree oil.  Apparently the tea tree has antiseptic and antifungal properties.  It also gives the deodorant a slightly minty smell.

4) Pour/scoop into a vessel of your choice.  This actually hardens quite a bit, so you could even put it into a regular deodorant container if you have one, or Dave was suggesting that I roll this into a ball and not have a container at all.  It's pretty tricky to get it out of this jar.  I had to scrape it out with a spoon and spread it on my skin with my fingertips like lotion. 


I should mention that this is not antiperspirant.  It doesn't stop you from sweating, just from being stinky while you sweat.  I can handle that.  No sweat...

No comments:

Post a Comment