Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Week 8: Back bow skirt

(February 23, 2011)

My new job has something of a dress code: black or white, must be nice, must have collared shirt.  I'm getting mighty tired of wearing the same pants over and over again.  It's an affliction I think: when I was pregnant, some of my darkest days where those when I realized that I only had one pair of pants I could wear.  (I suppose this also means that I was blessed with a mostly happy and stress-free pregnancy...)

At any rate, I decided this week that I need a skirt to wear to work.  So here it is:





This is a VERY simple skirt.

1. hem


2. sew back seam




3. make a casing for elastic waistband (I used quite a wide elastic)
4. thread elastic through & sew ends together
5. close waistband casing
6. bunch extra fabric at back of skirt. secure with a few stitches
7. make a bow and attach at the back


If you would like more detailed instructions, these are the ones I used.

Cost breakdown: I bought the fabric specifically for this skirt.  I spent around $15 for elastic, fabric (I have about half of it left still), and measuring tape.  If you have some other fabric you want to use for a project like this, that would work too.  I think it works best with something of a stiffer fabric, with little to no stretch.  That way the bunching (ugh, what is the real word for this??) will hold nicely.

4 comments:

  1. Is it 'ruching'? Love your creativity :)
    (from Sue - Mom's google account is in my cpu)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friends! I feel like it's not quite ruching, Sue, but it's probably a good enough descriptor for now!

    ReplyDelete