Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 6: Slouchy Hat

(February 6, 2011)


So I signed up for this Facebook shenanigans: I promised to send something handmade to 5 people who responded to my profile, as long as they did the same thing.  Actually, I thought it was an awesome idea, because who doesn't love getting something handmade in the mail from their friends?  The only thing that would make it better is if, in addition to the 5 people who respond, you also had to make something for the person you initially responded to.  Because then that person would get like 5 handmade things in the mail!! 

... I really love getting things in the mail...  [ahem!]

I'm kind of biding my time to make most of my peoples' gifts, but I did have an in-town gift, so I started with that one!

I decided to make my friend Celia a soft, slouchy crochet hat because I do recall one evening she was lamenting the dearth of nice looking hats for those of us with, ah, bigger than the average head.  And I feel her pain!  I once worked at a bagel store where we had to wear these baseball caps as part of the uniform and none of them fit me!  The biggest one they had looked tiny on my giant melon!  But I digress...

I kind of just made up this hat as I went along, trying it on to make sure that it was big enough.  And not so big as to make the wearer feel like she's wearing a BIG HEAD HAT.  Because that's no fun either.  I intended to put a little brim on it too, but that looked ridiculous, so it ended up kind of being like a dread cap or something.  A place where a person can tuck all her hair inside if she wants!  Or just slouch it on the back of her head.  It's warm and cozy and so comfortable.  (I took it for a test wear the first evening and decided that I might like one for myself...)

So there you go Celia!  I hope you like your hat!

**possible pictures to come of Celia in her hat...

No comments:

Post a Comment