Sunday, February 6, 2011

Made It: Coconut Milk Frosting

I like how on the stand the cake looks like it's rising out of a lava rock island or something...

So as part of my goals for frugality this year, I'm trying to use everything we have.  That means that box of random non-perishables that Dave brought home after helping his friend move last month all got tucked away in our cupboards in preparation for using in our kitchen.  Because who are we to turn away something a friend has to offer?   And I must admit that some of these items have caused me a bit of consternation.  Here I am, trying to live a green lifestyle, a health conscious lifestyle, a frugal lifestyle, and a homemade lifestyle simultaneously, and what do I do with this box of Hamburger Helper?  Lots of times these different lifestyles will intersect and help each other out.  Use vinegar for everything - done.  Go no 'poo - done.  Make your own laundry soap - done.  But the handed down food items, they just don't jive with so many of my ideals.  Though if I discard them, then what do I become?  How does that make economic sense?

Simple.  Quit worrying and bake a cake!  (from a box!)


It's actually quite delicious, and almost even too easy of a project to get 19 month old Charlie involved in.  There were only 3 things for him to put in the mixer!  And the saving grace of this cake (aside from the awesome castle cake pan we got as a wedding gift) is the frosting.  And again, using everything we have...  I had about 3/4 c. of coconut milk in the fridge that wasn't getting used, so I decided to make coconut milk frosting.  It's pretty much a regular frosting recipe with coconut milk substituted for milk.  But it is so light and fluffy and delicious, it feels like a revelation!  Just your basic butter, icing sugar, and milk recipe with a touch of vanilla.  The other thing about using coconut milk is that with only a few tweaks you could make this into a vegan frosting.  Or a delicious coconut frosting.  The only thing is, the coconut milk doesn't add very much coconut flavour, so you might want to add some shredded coconut or coconut extract. 

Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment