Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Made It (sort of): Wool Dryer Ball

I cannot BELIEVE I'm writing this now, as I have a ton of stuff to do tomorrow and should really go to bed, but I've been totally neglecting the blog, and and and and AND.

Several months ago I was given the suggestion to make some felted wool dryer balls.  I've never been one for fancy washing routine, and since I haven't ever used something like dryer sheets, I figured a dryer ball would be just as unnecessary.  Who cares about static?  However, I have since learned that dryer balls do not just reduce static in your laundry, they bounce around in there with your clothes and loosen everything up, helping to shorten the time needed to dry your clothes.

SO.  I decided to try to make one of my own.  I know that wool yarn can be expensive in stores - heck, even a nice poly blend can be expensive.  I sure as shootin' wasn't going to go to a fancy yarn store to get my supplies for this project.  So I combed the thrift shops to the best of my ability.  The funny thing about yarn though, is that people often call any kind of yarn "wool."  Even if it's polyester.  And since thrift store yarn is often wrapped and you can't feel it, it's hard to tell just exactly what it's made of.  However, I did remember that Dave's Christmas present was made of awfully scratchy cream coloured yarn - most likely wool - and I had quite a bit left over.

So I followed the instructions (basically just wind your wool into a tight ball about 1.5 " then wash inside a sock, then add more to be about 3 " in diameter, wash in a sock again until it's felted).

I generally don't wash in hot water and dry in the dryer, especially as the weather is getting nicer for outdoor drying, so I may have cut the last couple steps short.  When I washed my diapers this afternoon (a grey and rainy day) I rejoiced at the chance to use my wonderful new dryer ball!  But this is what came out of the washing machine:


I believe I uttered the words "laundry disaster."

Lesson learned.  Follow the instructions until the project is finished.  Luckily, this was only the outer layer, so I may still be able to salvage my dryer ball .

1 comment: