Thursday, August 11, 2011

Made It: Baby Bow Tie


Here's a super easy way to zazz up your little (or big) fella's next fancy outfit.  Make a bow tie!  Since most of Charlie's outfit was pretty plain (white & black) I figured we could go bold with the bow tie.  Because that's what it's for, after all!

I used this tutorial, which you should check out because she has beautiful photos as well as very easy to understand instructions!

First things first: cut out your fabric.  I sewed each piece into a tube, turned inside out, and pressed. 


Then, with the big bow piece, fold each edge into the middle to meet.  Sew in place using a zigzag stitch up the middle.  (See, this is why you need to see the real tutorial.  Better instructions)

Sew an inch long straight stitch perpendicular to the zigzag.


Attach the velcro to the neck part.  When you do this, you can fold the unfinished end kind of like an envelope, pin the velcro on, and just sew around it normally.  (Honestly, it's like I'm not even trying here...)


Finally, place the bow part over the center of the neck part.  Pinch and arrange the bow part until you think it looks right.  Fold the middle piece over the bow and neck parts, keeping the ends toward the back.  Fold under and tighten to your desired look.  Hand stitch that sucker together and you have a bow tie!  Amazing!


I cut out my fabric the night before, but getting up at our regular 8:00, I was able to finish this bad boy by 9:15.


 Here's Charlie, monkeying around in a bow tie at a wedding.  I'm thinking I might have to find some more nice fabric and make him a little collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment