Sunday, March 24, 2013

Made It: The Best Chocolate Treat Ever

 Okay, so I totally fell off the wagon with the whole "one project per week for a year" idea.  Things happened.  I got a full-time teaching job and shortly after became pregnant, which means I then had a baby AS WELL AS a 3 year old.  Now my baby is 10 months old and my son will be 4 in a few months.  I don't necessarily have more time for projects, but I have all these projects burning up in my imagination.  I just gotta share 'em!!

Here's my current favourite:  Chocolate thin mints.  These babies have only 3 ingredients but are so delicious, impressive, and I like to think they are healthy.

1. Melt dark chocolate in the top of a double boiler.  I like to use the callebaut chunks, about 1-2 handfuls.

2. Spread over a wax paper lined cookie sheet.  I usually spray the sheet with water to keep the paper from moving around as I spread.  I also like the chocolate layers to be as thin as possible, which requires lots of spreading!  Refrigerate to set and cool for the next steps.


 3. Using the residual heat from the double boiler (but a different bowl), gently soften some coconut oil.  I used about 1 1/2 cups for this batch, but it all depends on the size of your cookie sheet and how thick you like the coconut oil layer.  I like it thick!  Add peppermint essential oil (or extract).  This batch turned out almost too peppermint-y, but usually about 20 drops is good.  When the coconut oil mixture is smooth and easy to stir, remove from water.


4. Pour over the chilled chocolate layer and quickly spread out until evenly spread and flat.  The coldness of the chocolate will harden the coconut oil layer, so work fast!  Refrigerate to set and cool.

5. Do another layer of chocolate for the top.  The tricky part is spreading it on the coconut oil layer without too much oil melting.  I still haven't figured this part out yet.  I think it's probably best to allow the chocolate to cool slightly after melting.

6. Refrigerate once more to set.  Cut into desired shapes.  If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just break pieces off like chocolate bark and eat off the cookie sheet...


1 comment:

  1. I will be making this! I wonder if you froze it first before adding the last chocolate layer?

    Also try: 1. Melt 1/2 cup of coconut oil
    2. Dump it in a food processor and mix in 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, 1/2
    cup of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of honey, and a glug of vanilla
    3. Put in an ice cube tray or muffin tin and freeze.
    4. Keep in the fridge.
    ... 5. Eat.

    I've only made it with tahini because that's what I had, and I used a really really dark chocolate bar instead of coco and honey (less sugar :) ).

    ReplyDelete