Saturday, April 30, 2011

Week 17: Easy Peasy Wall Hangings

(April 28, 2011)


This here's a project I've been sitting on for quite some time, but just never had the oomph to do.  Or something.  I'm not exactly sure why I never did it because it is dead easy and I had all the materials, but there you are...

It's a very easy no-sew fabric project, it adds a nice touch to a bare wall, and is a temporary decorative piece for renters like us!  Also, I love the fact that you can use patterns that may have sentimental value to you.  My mom's always using bits of scrap that came from other memorable projects.  "This one was a maternity shirt, this one was your baby curtains, this was a work shirt of dad's..."  Of course, I am just starting out my lifelong fabric stash, so this was all new (to me from the thrift store).


Stuff you need:

- wood embroidery hoops of varying sizes
- fabrics about an inch wider than each hoop
- glue
- tacks
- fabric scissors

What you do:


1) Cut out the fabric to be about an inch wider all around one of your hoops.
2) Separate the inner from the outer hoop.
3) Lay the fabric over the inner hoop.  Push the outer hoop down over it to sandwich the fabric between, making sure that it "catches" all the way around.  Pull fabric taut.
4) Secure hoop by tightening the little screws.


5) Glue down excess fabric at the back.  I just used a little bit of glue stick to gently hold it down to the back of the wood, in the hopes that if I ever choose to change the fabric or even *gasp* embroider something, I might be able to get this fabric out.


6) Step back and admire your handiwork.


7) Arrange and hang on walls to your preference.  I just used one regular thumb tack per hoop.


PS - Sorry I've been away so long.  Just had a huge dry spell with no creative mojo and no motivation.  I've got a few more up my sleeve, so hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment